Please click here for the:
The philosophy of the Physical Education Program in the middle school is to help students develop a positive self-image and increase their level of self-confidence. A curriculum is provided which will enable each student to experience success while participating in a variety of individual and group activities. It is the purpose of each class to provide students with an opportunity to learn skills, develop a proper attitude towards physical fitness and gain knowledge pertaining to various sports and activities. Good sportsmanship and learning to work with others in individual and team related activities are emphasized.
The essential understandings and skills that all students should learn by the end of middle school are:
- the interrelationship between physical activitiy and a healthy lifestyle; understand physical activity provides opportunity for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction;
- recognize the role of physcial activity in understanding diversity in modern culture;
- the benefits of the role of rules, procedures, safe practices, ethical behavior, and positive social interaction in physical activity settings.
Students will participate in lifetime sports, team sports, cooperative activities, and physical fitness activities.
Assessments include but are not limited to:
- skill checks, self-assessment, physical fitness assessment;
- written tests and authentic assessments